Short wordless films provide a perfect medium for targeting higher level language skills in a fun and engaging way. This packet targets prediction and inference making, as well as vocabulary development. Selected vocabulary relates to the emotions and character traits observable in the films, which ties in nicely with pragmatics targets as well. Links to 18 short films are provided, viewable on YouTube*. This activity is perfect for distance learning - Simply co-view the videos with your students via Zoom or Google Meet. You control the videos, pose questions, and provide feedback. Parents can also implement this activity with their children as home practice.
For each film, a series of questions are outlined on a data-tracking sheet. The data form includes a key to quickly mark the accuracy of student responses and includes room for simultaneous data collection for 4 students. It is always hard to get concentrated trials of higher level language skills, but this packet makes it easy! In total, there are 273 questions (average of 15.2 questions per video).
*Please note that the links in the packet may change if videos are removed from YouTube. Searching for the film by name typically pulls up another option, however please comment in the Q&A or send me an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you discover a broken link. Last update: 3/25/20
Here's what reviewers have to say:
- "I appreciate how this is organized to effectively guide my sessions"
- "Great for pragmatics, higher level inferencing, and general comprehension."
- "I absolutely love this purchase and use it with all of my students."
- "My students love watching these videos. It engages even my hardest to engage students. This resource makes it so easy to use them in a session."
- "This is a fantastic resource for developing prediction, inferencing, and vocabulary skills through entertaining wordless videos. Using wordless videos is a great way to keep the attention of children who will not (or cannot) sustain attention for written material due to literacy difficulties. Wonderful product!"