The Mitten is a beloved story used in thousands of classrooms across the country. It's a wonderful tale that is a must-use when teaching language arts during a winter theme.
This workbook is the perfect resource - complete with student-friendly work pages that support the practice of key language skills like the story elements, sequencing, making connections, and writing skills.
- The Mitten by Jan Brett
- The Mitten by Alvin Tresselt
- The Mitten Pop-Up Book by Jessica Southwick
- Characters: practice using a word bank to identify the characters, writing prompt about student's favorite character.
- Setting: identify and draw the main setting for the story.
- Problem & Solution: identify and draw the problem and solution.
- Story Elements practice page.
- Sequencing: identify the order that the animals find the mitten, introducing ordinal numbers (i.e. 1st-8th), sequencing activity for other versions of The Mitten.
- Missing Mittens: identify and write the missing lowercase letters of the alphabet.
- Compare & Contrast: identify and label the similar and different animals from a variation of the story.
- Retelling: Retell the events in the story using the words first, next, then, and finally.
- Make Selt-to-Text Connections: write about a time you lost something like Nicki did in the story and/or my favorite part from the story.
This resource is easy to prep, too! Just print into workbooks or print as individual handouts!
Permissions for Distance Learning
By purchasing this resource I give permissions to share with student families for personal, single household use for distance learning.
See how I use this resource in my classroom at Little Fox Teaching!