This PowerPoint presentation is a very comprehensive introduction to the distributive property with plenty of practice problems for the students to work as you are teaching the lesson. This PowerPoint will work nicely if you are looking for a resource for the CCSS 6.EE.3.
When Previewing... Be sure to run the slideshow so that you can see the animation.
1) The lesson begins with a real world connection that will help the student understand what the distributive property is and how it works.
2) It then proceeds by defining the distributive property and explaining how to recognize it when you see it.
3) The student will learn how to apply the distributive property.
4) The student will learn how the distributive property can be used to help them multiply numbers.
5) The student will learn how to “undo” distribution by factoring.
6) The lesson closes with 5 questions that will remind students of topics covered during the lesson.
I also suggest that you close this lesson with a bag of the dum-dum lollipops. Ask a student to "distribute" them to the class.
After teaching this material, you may find my assessment on this objective useful. You can check it out by clicking on the following link: Distributive Property - Test Prep (40 questions)
Thank you for viewing!
Date Created: 8/24/14