DIVERGENT UNIT PLAN
This comprehensive unit plan is aligned with Common Core State Standards and includes all the materials and resources you will need to teach Divergent by Veronica Roth.
Take a break from prep work while your students enjoy 80 pages of fun and dynamic activities designed to engage, inform, and entertain.
See below for a full listing of what this Divergent Unit Plan includes.
Divergent Unit Calendar
- Provided as a rough guide for pacing and order of activities.
- Structured as a one-month unit.
Divergent Debate Statements
- Introductory activity to get students thinking about some of the underlying themes and issues in Divergent.
- Students agree or disagree with a series of statements and explain their positions in writing.
- Students then discuss and debate each statement as a class.
Divergent Chapter Questions
- Comprehension questions for every chapter in Divergent.
- Answer key provided
Divergent Discussion Questions
- Discussion questions to be used while reading and analyzing Divergent.
- Great for initiating higher-level thinking, debate, and discussion.
- Also great to use as writing prompts.
Divergent Vocabulary Chart
- Vocabulary lists for each chapter
- Chart for recording definitions and example sentences for each word.
Divergent Character Files
- Organizers to help students record important information about main characters in Divergent.
- 10 in total.
- Great for scaffolding towards writing character sketches.
- Also great for review and studying.
Divergent Important Quotes Chart
- Several important quotes with page references.
- Chart for students to record significance of each quote.
Divergent Factions Chart
- Organizer for recording details about each Faction.
Divergent Faction Organizers
- Individual worksheets for students to record important facts, details, and quotes that show what it means to be part of each faction.
- Spaces for beliefs, values, attitudes, and appearance.
Divergent Faction Morality
- Students learn about morality and moral dilemmas.
- Students explore various moral dilemmas and suggest what members of different Factions might do in each scenario.
- Students invent their own moral dilemmas and suggest how members of different factions might approach it.
Divergent Faction Propaganda Lesson and Assignment
- Students learn about propaganda.
- Students create their own propaganda posters related to Divergent.
Faction Choice Worksheet and Quiz
- Students complete a worksheet indicating which Faction they would choose if they were in Beatrice's position.
- Students must explain the reasoning behind their choice, and differentiate between what they are best suited to, and what they would most like to be a part of.
- Students then take a quiz to determine which Faction they are best suited to.
Divergent Aptitude Test Design Lesson and Assignment
- Students explore the concept of personality and aptitude testing.
- Students design an aptitude test following clear criteria.
Beatrice's Choice Essay Assignment
- Students discuss Beatrice's choice of Faction.
- Students write a persuasive essay arguing in favor or against her choice.
The Sixth Faction Activity and Worksheet
- Students go through several steps to create their own Faction.
Divergent Plot Diagram
- Template worksheet for students to diagram the plot structure of Divergent.
Divergent Film Comparison
- Worksheet to help student compare the movie version of Divergent to the book.
Divergent Movie Writing Assignment
- Detailed instructions for students to write a three-paragraph essay comparing the movie to the book and explaining which they prefer.
Divergent Playlist Activity and Worksheet
- Students create a music playlist for one of the characters in Veronica Roth's Divergent.
Divergent Trading Cards Project
- Students follow step-by-step instructions and clear criteria to create a collection of trading cards representing characters and literary elements from Divergent by Veronica Roth.
Divergent Puzzles and Games
- Crossword Puzzles
- Double Puzzles
- Divergent Wordsearch
- Divergent Maze
- All puzzles include answer keys
Unit Test for Divergent
- Unit test with four sections (character matching, short answer, faction matching, paragraph).
- Includes answer key.
Common Core State Standards Alignment Grid
- Shows exactly which standards are met by the Divergent lesson plans and activities.