Do you have trouble getting your intermediate level students interested in reading? Are they motivated to learn? If not, the novel Divergent by Veronica Roth, just might be the solution to those problems! I struggled with both of those problems, and I decided to try this novel with my students, and it was one of the best things I ever did!
With all of that set aside, our state tests in Pennsylvania relied heavily on TBA (text basis analysis) questions, which was a challenge for me to incorporate into reading class while using this novel; however, I was able to formulate questions that required my students to go back into the text and find textual evidence to support their answers. An additional challenge I had with my students was that they did not have a vast vocabulary; therefore, if I did not pick words for vocab for each chapter, my kiddos were not going to even begin to understand what is happening in the story regardless if they were motivated and engaged or not!
This product contains the all 39 chapters of Divergent complete with the following:
- an aptitude test for students to take with results
- project ideas
- discussion based quotes from all 39 chapters of the novel
- text based analysis questions for each chapter with answer keys
- writing prompt ideas
- vocabulary sheets for all 39 chapters
- a rubric for scoring the project
- comparison activities among characters/factions
- character charts to keep track of the diverse set of characters you and your students will discover throughout the entire novel
I hope your students enjoy this novel study as much as mine did this past year! Also, please provide feedback on this digital product as well as check out a wide range of other items in my store! Other items include: phonics packets, math task cards for grades 5-8, ELA activities, classroom decor, behavior management, homework completion games to help motivate kiddos to get their homework done, and much more! :) Happy Teaching!!