DIVERGENCE, ADVERSITY, CONFORMITY & DAUNTLESS
These are all thematic subjects found in the novel Divergent. This class room activity is a fun, challenging and interactive way to introduce the concept of denotation/connotation, thematic subject vs theme, and generating your own thematic statements. Students will work in groups to evaluate the denotative and connotative meaning of each of these thematic subjects found in the novel. Each thematic subject packet comes with at least 6 different quotes (26 different quotes) dealing with the theme for students to analyze and compare to how the theme is developed in the novel. After students have analyzed the theme, each group will write an acrostic poem expressing what they have learned about the theme.
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN OTHER LITERATURE GRAPHIC ORGANIZERS AND DIVERGENT SPECIFIC ACTIVITIES, VISIT THE CUSTOM CATEGORY BELOW
Link-LITERATURE GRAPHIC ORGANIZERS
1. PPT Lecture (12 slides)
2. Teacher's Guide
3. Student Notes/Handouts (4 different packets 16 pages)
CCSS: CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RI.9-10.4 CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RI.9-10.5 CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RI.9-10.6
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.SL.9-10.1.C CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.SL.9-10.1.D CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RI.9-10.7
1. What are the positive and negative connotations surrounding a word?
2. How is a common theme expressed within different sources?
3. How to concisely summarize thematic meaning?
ACADEMIC OBJECTIVES (All Students Will Be Able To):
1. Identify and select words with positive/negative connotations
2. Analyze a variety of mediums to identify and explain a common theme
3. Create acrostic poems that express a specific tone and theme
4. Construct informatory paragraphs to explain theme
DIRECT INSTRUCTION AND CLASSROOM ACTIVITIES:
Place students in groups of 3-6
GIVE EACH GROUP A DIFFERENT THEMATIC SUBJECT WORKSHEET PACKET
DIRECT INSTRUCTION: THEMATIC SUBJECT VS THEME
DIRECT INSTRUCTION: DENOTATION VS CONNOTATION
Denotation vs Connotation Exercises
Defining Terms (Thematic Subjects) Exercises
THEMATIC SUBJECT’S RELATIONSHIP TO THE HUMAN EXPERIENCE
Review Thematic Subject and Theme
Explain tasks to students the process of the exercises
Students complete term’s relationship to the human experience” exercises
Have students share their completed work with the class
Explain Acrostic Poetry to Class and have students work in groups to create an Acrostic Poem.
Have students share their completed poems with class.
1. In discussions with class as students share their group-work with class.
2. Completed analysis paragraphs