This activity features at least 1 Billion (that's 1,000,000,000) different long division problems. How did I do it? Answer: a very, very small font!
All kidding aside, this is an incredibly expandable activity that has an unlimited number of puzzles, with each puzzle having several different solutions. Students start with a blank long division problem, with blanks left where the divisor and dividend should be. Some blanks are not too sophisticated: it may be a single digit divisor into a double digit dividend. But the puzzle gets difficult because there are 15 different "target solutions," that ask the student to arrange a set of numbers randomly selected from a deck of cards so that it the quotient will end up in that range. What's really great about this is that there are too many combinations for students to check, so what will they do? ESTIMATE!
These are the following game boards:
• single digit divisor into double digit dividend, triple and quadruple digit dividend.
• double digit divisor into double digit, triple digit and quadruple digit dividend.
• triple digit divisor into triple digit and quadruple digit dividend.
The "quotient target cards" are in increments of 5, 10 and 100. For example, there is the target "10 ≤ Quotient ≤ 15" as well as "50 ≤ Quotient ≤ 60" and "100 ≤ Quotient ≤ 200."
What's great about these puzzles is that students can "enter" it at any level they feel comfortable, and still work their way up to ever more complex puzzles. It is best if students work in pairs, so they can develop their estimation skills, as well as check their answers against one another.
Complete with number cards AND a student record sheet: print this once, use it, stores easily in a plastic lunch bag.
I've also included 4 pages (9 different ones on a page) of "task cards" that give both the target number and the set of numbers to use; they range in difficulty from "not so difficult" to "whoa!"
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. I value your feedback. It helps me to make resources that meet your needs.
Be the first to know about my new discounts, free resources and product launches:
• Look for the green star near the top of any page within my store and click it to become a follower. You will then receive customized email updates about my new products.