This division lesson packet includes everything you need for teaching the concepts and skills of division. Your students will master division in a short period of time! The packet includes anchor charts, student reference sheets, division vocabulary, guided and independent worksheets, word wall signs and answer keys.
The packet is provided with and without the monster theme for whichever suits your classroom best!
When teaching long division to my fourth grade students, I have found it helpful to use a progression of the skills so they build confidence and understanding along the way. Below is how the lesson unfolds:
• What is division?
• Division Vocabulary
• Divisibility Rules
• Division Clue Words
• Estimating Quotients
• The Division Algorithm – easily divisible; no remainder
• The Division Algorithm – largest place value not divisible by the divisor; no remainder
• The Division Algorithm – more difficulty in divisibility; no remainder
• The Division Algorithm – easily divisible; remainder
• The Division Algorithm – largest place value not divisible by the divisor; remainder
• The Division Algorithm – more difficulty in divisibility; remainder
• The Division Algorithm mixed; with and without remainders
• What is a Remainder?
• Division Word Problems and interpreting the remainder
All the division algorithm practice pages are presented on a grid background to help students keep their numbers lined up, instilling good habits of working neatly from the start. I have also included a blank grid to make available to students for math work space on division problems outside of this packet.