Practice the concepts of division and division word problems through critical thinking with this math journal. It covers VA SOLs 3.5, 4.4a, 4.4c, and 5.4.
This journal includes five journal pages in which students must evaluate division problems and assess and correct common mistakes when working with division of whole numbers with one digit divisors and 2 or 3 digit dividends.
- Journal 1- Identify multiplication and division fact families and use visual representations to illustrate the relationship between multiplication and division.
- Journal 2- Draw visual representations to show division as dividing into groups (w/o remainders).
- Journal 3- Use estimation to determine reasonableness of a quotient. Evaluate and correct common mistakes in long division (w/ remainders).
- Journal 4- Evaluate and solve a word problem then decide whether to report the remainder as a fraction/decimal, use it to round up the quotient, ignore it, or use the remainder as the answer.
- Journal 5- Given an answer to a word problem, write a division word problem question.
These journals go beyond basic practice as students evaluate the meaning behind division, the relationship between multiplication and division, and the meaning of remainders. Students must think critically and justify their thinking using numbers, words, and/or pictures. Use in math centers, small groups, or as homework. Great for independent or partner work to facilitate interactive math talk in your classroom. Ready to print! Answer key included! NO PREP!
Save time and money by purchasing this product as part of a BUNDLE!
Math Journals for 4th and 5th Grade Mega BUNDLE
Whole Number Computation Math Journal BUNDLE
Computation Math Journal BUNDLE
Want more whole number computation or word problem practice? Check out View from Fourth's Multiplication Word Problems Math Journal
and Addition and Subtraction Math Journal
Need to brush up on place value rounding skills before tacking estimation and computation? Check out View from Fourth's Whole Number Place Value and Rounding Math Journal
When you are ready for computation with decimals and fractions, check out these math journals from View from Fourth:
Decimal Addition and Subtraction Math Journal
Decimal Multiplication and Division Math Journal
Decimals and Fractions Math Journal
Adding and Subtracting Fractions Math Journal
Adding and Subtracting Mixed Numbers Math Journal
Decimal Place Value and Rounding Math Journal