Word Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
"Does Social Media Make People Sadder?" is a high-interest article which is directly related to most students and includes research studies.
The features of these units:
- I found some interesting/important information in this article.
- After reading this, I now would like to (learn more about /read more research about
- There is some information in this article that I could apply to my life.
- I agree / disagree with the author about something.
- This article reminded me of (me/ my family/my friend).
- I was surprised by something in this article.
from paragraph 1 Barzilay wanted to explore the relationship between how much time we spend on social media and how happy we are. Many studies have shown that people who often use social media seem to be less happy than those who don’t. However, the researchers wondered about two possible reasons for this. One would be a correlation: Are lonely people using social media to escape from their lonely or unhappy lives? The other would be cause: Is social media causing people to feel unhappy?
from paragraph 18 There is a fear that others are having better lives than we have. There is another type of fear closely connected to social media. It’s called FOMO (fear of missing out). This can happen when we look at photos and descriptions of our friends’ experiences on social media of events that we did not attend. This can cause us to be less happy at the present moment even if we ourselves had been having an enjoyable experience.
For discussions about teaching ESL, please see my blog: