This unit will guide students through a research project on a dog breed of their choice. It includes a student packet for research and rough draft, and a separate packet for students to do their final drafts. This unit is meant to take 2-3 weeks, and to be accompanied by teacher-designed mini-lessons.
The research and rough draft packet includes:
1. An introduction to the project
2. Questions to guide research
3. Note taking space (students will note resources)
4. Suggestions for teacher mini-lessons and accompanying student work
5. An editing and revising checklist
The final draft packet includes:
1. A title page (to be designed by students)
2. A table of contents page
3. An index page
4. A choice of 6 writing pages, with a variety of layouts (for students to include non-fiction text features).
The file also includes a list of suggested research websites and a rubric for grading.
This unit will meet many of the Common Core Reading and Writing Standards:
RI 4.4 Determine the meaning of domain-specific words
RI 4.7 Interpret information presented visually
RI 4.9 Integrate information from two texts on the same topic
W 4.2 Write informative / explanatory texts (a,b,c,d and e)
W 4.7 Conduct short research projects
W 4.5 Revise and edit