This is a fun literacy activity with a touch of math added in for your little ones.
“Color It, Count It, Graph It!” includes two pages for each of the following sets of Grades 1 & 2 Dolch words:
· Set 1: after, always, again, around, an, because, any, been, as, before
· Set 2: ask, best, by, both, could, buy, every, call, fly, cold
· Set 3: from, does, give, don’t, going, fast, had, first, has, five
· Set 4: her, found, him, gave, his, goes, how, green, just, its
· Set 5: know, made, let, many, live, off, may, or, of, pull
· Set 6: old, read, once, right, open, sing, over, sit, put, sleep
· Set 7: round, tell, some, their, stop, these, take, those, thank, upon
· Set 8: them, us, then, use, think, very, walk, wash, were, which
· Set 9: when, why, under, wish, want, work, what, would, little, write
· Set 10: your; Review: found, don’t, because, were, where, right, goes, does, before
The first page of each lesson invites the children to find and color the Dolch words using a color code. The children are then asked to count the number of times they colored each word and write it in the box provided. The second page asks the children to graph the number of times they found each word by coloring the boxes in the correct columns. The students must then write the word or words that appeared the most and the least.
This makes a great literacy center! Children are actively engaged in a useful activity, allowing the teacher quality time to work with groups of students during guided reading.
It may also be used during partner work, as independent practice, morning work, and more! This is a great activity for intervention reading groups also.
Thanks for looking!
Learning With A Smile
Grade 1 Dolch Words
Grade 2 Dolch Words