This 58 page resource, Dolch Sight Word Magic, was initially developed in the late 90s for my first graders who were struggling to automatically read basic, yet essential, high frequency words on sight. As a result, their reading was choppy, not smooth. Their comprehension was weak at best. Along with incorporating many different strategies and materials to help my students master the Dolch sight words, came the introduction of my Dolch sight word rabbits and an adult-size top hat. When my students’ eyes lit up with excitement, I knew I had them! The top hat and the rabbits inside did the trick. Over time, and with a lot of practice, their instant word recognition improved. Needless to say, this became one of the most popular literacy centers. It wasn’t long before students began pulling the top hat from the shelf during indoor recess.
With your purchase of this resource, you will receive:
1. Nine word list posters in color and in black and white;
2. Full-color directions for playing the Top Hat sight word game;
3. A printable recording sheet;
4. Top Hat labels in several sizes;
5. Information for where to purchase top hats; and
6. 220 sight word rabbit cards (measuring 2 ½ inches wide by 3 inches tall) suitable for printing in color and black and white.
Thank you for purchasing this open-ended sight word resource. I hope you like it and that your students do too. If you have a suggestion or a question, or find an error, please contact me through the ASK A QUESTION tab. I promise a quick response.
Please provide a fair rating and leave a brief comment. If you plan to share this resource with others, please purchase an additional user license for each additional user.
Follow me on TPT to be notified when a new resource has been added to my store.