Pre-Primer Dolch Sight Word PowerPoint Assessment and Checklist
Everything you need to make it easy to assess your students’ ability to read the 40 words on the Dolch Pre-Primer Word List is included in this packet. Along with an individual recording sheet for each student, this product contains 2 PowerPoint presentations of the words. One presentation shows the words in bold black letters and the second option shows the words in a color that coordinates with the slide background and frame. Each presentation allows you to manually advance the slides or follow the simple directions to have the frames advance at your choice of different increments of time.
The slide show may also be used to drill students on the sight words in small groups or as a whole class activity.
The following directions for setting the increments of time are included in the note section of the first slide in each presentation:
TO MANUALLY ADVANCE THE SLIDES
• Click on Slide Show then From Beginning
TO USE PRE-SET ADVANCEMENT
• Click on Animations (top menu)
• Then check the box in front of Automatically After
• Click to the number of seconds you want a slide to appear
• Then click on Apply To All
• Next click Slide Show (top menu) and the box in front of Use Rehearsed Timings
• Finally click From Beginning to start the slide presentation.
There are several reasons to use a PowerPoint presentation when assessing students’ sight word knowledge. First, students love computer games and this avenue for testing will seem more like a game than a test. They will do their best to beat the computer. Also it will take the hassle out of watching a clock if your assessments include a time factor. This will make the assessment a lot more consistent.