Doll Bones recently received a Newbery honor in 2014. It is a captivating story of three friends growing up and going on an important quest together. Elements of the ghost story are intriguing and relatable for children in middle school, growing up and finding themselves.
This novel study is 66 pages, including:
- A pre-reading activity
- AT LEAST 2 CCLS aligned short response questions for each chapter (Some chapters have 4 or 6 questions, depending on the length of the chapter.)
- evidence statements sentence starters on the bottom of each page for scaffolding
- 8 journaling pages that can be used for any chapter, in addition to the short response questions. (vocabulary, summarizing, story elements, character traits, predictions, visualizing, connections, etc.)
- 6 extended response questions
- teaching suggestions
- 12 additional novel activities listed
- testing posters (genre, text structure, text features, main idea, context clues, RATT short response strategy, etc.)
***There are so many versatile activities and levels of questioning provided that this novel study is easily differentiated for various learners and text levels.