This activity has students practicing finding the domain and range of functions in pair of two. Students are asked to discuss the answers before they write their answers. By working in a collaborative atmosphere students not only develop their collaborative skills but also their critical thinking skills.
- Students have learned the basics of functions
- Students have learned functional notation
- Students understand how to find the domain and range of algebraic functions
- Students have been introduced graphs of functions
- Students understand how to find the domain and range of graphs of functions
The activity is divided into three sections. In the first section students are asked to collaborate and find the domain and range of functions in algebraic form. In the second section students are asked to collaborate and find the domain and range of graphs of functions. In the third section students are asked to find the domain and range of functions in tabular form.
What the Students will Learn
Students will learn how to collaborate with their partner in order to determine the best method for finding domain and range. This exercise will reinforce students understanding of domain and range and help with their ability to solve problems that they have never seen before.