Want to boost your students' awareness of vocabulary and word study? This adorable book about a boy who collects words is the perfect book to get your students excited about using new words in their speaking and writing.
The novel study is aligned with common core standards and focuses on the following word-study concepts:
1) Sorting vocabulary words in different categories
2) Using context clues to determine meaning
3) Looking up words in the dictionary
4) Parts of speech (noun, verb, adjective)
5) Synonyms and Antonyms of new words to develop more vocab
6) Creating Word Maps
Other skills included are:
1) What is the realistic fiction genre?
2) Making text-to-text connects (the unit includes an introductory read-loud - "The Boy Who Loved Words," and an end of unit poem, "Words Free as Confetti" - both text connect to Donavan's Word Jar)
3) Problem/Solution in a story
5) Journal questions for student to complete at the end of each chapter/section
6) Common Core -based comprehension check at the end of each chapter/section (questions are modeled after state testing questions)
In the download you will be receiving the following:
1) Detail lesson plans for teacher preparation (include materials, CCSS, objectives and steps to complete the lesson)
2) 25 pages of student activity sheets to use with daily lessons
3) 36 anchor slides to go along with each lesson (anchor slides are provided in SMARTBoard, PowerPoint, PDF, and PNG image files)
4) 59 piece full color bulletin board set to help reinforce concepts
5) Antonym/Synonym puzzle game to go along with a lesson
6) Noun/Verb/Adjective cut and paste activity to go along with a lesson
7) Word Map template
8) Summarizing poster and book summary template
9) "Free As Confetti" poem to use a lesson
10) 6 End of unit center games and activities to review concepts learned throughout the unit.
Over 150 pages, slides, bulletin board pieces, and more!
This unit will work perfectly in a guided reading, strategy group, or whole-class format. The unit focuses primarily on vocabulary development while still incorporating reading comprehension skills and written responses.
Check out the detailed preview download to see all you will be getting!
Check out additional novel units available at my store:
Dear Mr. Henshaw
George Washington's Socks
Because of Winn-Dixie