This resource is a TWIST on my original "Don't Judge a Book by its Cover" activity that I began doing my very first year of teaching! You'll wrap and present the first set of books, but then... students will wrap different books that they enjoyed, write a summary, and hook their classmates based on their description as opposed to just the front cover of the book!
- Teacher directions
- Student directions
- 20 examples of book descriptions and titles
- EDITABLE template to type and print your own book description
- "Recommended by Students" description templates
- Photo examples
Supplies needed: books/magazines/journals to wrap, wrapping paper (check out the dollar section at Target), and this resource!
1. Select the books you want to wrap for your students. The objective is to hook students with the content/summary of the book, NOT the front cover. We’re all guilty of it, but we know we may be missing out on incredible literature because of it!
2. Insert the descriptions of the book on the editable “Don’t Judge a Book by its Cover” resource. (pages 2-3)
NOTE: To add more pages, simply copy and past the slides.
3. Print the descriptions, wrap the books, and attach the descriptions to the wrapped book.
4. Print several copies of pages 4-7, and one copy of page 1 (student directions).
5. HERE’S THE TWIST: When students are done reading a book, whether it’s one you read or one they just genuinely enjoyed, encourage students to wrap/recommend the book to their peers by setting up a wrapping station. Students can wrap the book, write their own hook/summary of the novel, and leave it for another student to read!
6. Include wrapping paper, tape, and the “Recommended by Students” templates in the wrapping station.
Download the to see this activity in action! This resource was created for Extreme Makeover Classroom Edition in Monument Valley, Utah!
Connect with Me SuperHERO Teacher BlogFind me on FacebookFind me on InstagramFind me on Pinterest
Find me on Snapchat: Superheroteach
If you like this product, please leave feedback!