Doors To Discovery: Introduction
This lesson gives detailed plans on how to introduce the Doors To Discovery Unit (found in our teacher store), which is based upon the popular animated movie in which monsters go behind doors to collect screams (and later laughter) to power their town. In Doors To Discovery, your students go behind exciting new doors to collect knowledge to power your classroom. This lesson introduces the doors unit at the beginning of the school year. It lists several extensions or variations to suit your classroom needs and includes various door printables for your students to decorate, as well as an empty door station.
Common Core State Standards Include:
• SL.K.1 Can talk with others
• SL.K1 Can participate in a conversation
• SL.K.2 Can tell what a story is about
• SL.K.3 Can ask and answer a question about what I have heard
• SL.K.4 Can tell about people, places and things with help
• SL.K.5 Can use drawings to add details
• SL.K.6 Can speak clearly
• W.K.1 Can write, draw and tell my opinion
Look for “Doors to Discovery” in our teacher store for the overview of this yearlong theme, as well as printable doors and a door station. “Tank Time” is another lesson sold at our store, which gives a detailed lesson plan for how to “fill your tanks” with all the knowledge your students will be learning, as well as recording sheets and title pages. Continue to look back for more related lessons to “Doors to Discovery” as they are added. We hope to eventually bundle them as each unit (door).