Include double digit addition and subtraction (with regrouping, without regrouping and mixed)
Many of the boys in my class are really into football this year. What better way to get them motivated to add and subtract by playing a game where the end goal is to get a touchdown. It is a simple, yet a very effective game that will spark your student’s interest.
If you like this resource you may also like..
Single Digit Addition and Subtraction Game
Number Concepts Word Wall and Desk Tags
Fraction Word Wall and Desk Tags
-board game (download)
-One dice( or number cards 1-6)
-2 counters (one for each student to move across the game board)
-math journal (or paper)
-highly suggest printing and laminating these on cardstock (recommended)
How to Play
1) Students roll to see who goes first
2) First person rolls and moves counter that many spaces
3) Student MUST solve the problem using the strategy that you are teaching (algorithm, hundreds chart, place value blocks etc).
4) Partner checks first persons work
5) If correct, it is the 2nd person turn
6) If incorrect, you go back however many spaces you rolled
7) First one to the touchdown wins
(I reinforce to the kids that it is not about who wins, but more about how you work together as a team to help each other when one of you may get stuck)
This collection has 12 separate game boards that are ready to print in high quality PDF format. The game boards include:
No Regrouping- Black and White
No Regrouping- Color
Regrouping- Black and White
Regrouping and No Regrouping- Black and White
Regrouping and No Regrouping- Color
Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with any feedback, questions or recommendations.
All credits are in the zip file.