Do you want your students to be confident and capable mathematicians? I believe that for this to happen, students need to be equipped with a range of strategies, which they can add to their math tool belt! This ‘Double Double’ Strategy video, explains how students can use their existing knowledge of doubles to help them to solve addition questions. This is a great beginning strategy for teaching your students how to apply their knowledge of doubles to help solve addition questions.
Here is a basic example of this strategy -
8 + 9 = ?
I know that double 8 = 16
I know that 9 is one more that 8
So…16 + 1 = 17
WHEN TO USE THIS VIDEO?
• When your students have outgrown – counting on their fingers, using counters, counting on or using a number line as their main addition strategies
• Your students are ready to start using different mental math strategies
• When you are teaching doubles/halves
• When you are teaching addition strategies
WHATS INCLUDED IN THE VIDEO?
• This video explains how your students can use their existing knowledge of doubles to help them solve addition questions.
• Total playing length is 9.26 minutes. However it is designed to be an interactive video, so the total time will be considerably longer if you take the opportunities to pause the video at the prompted points.
• The video covers the following topics
- Vocabulary: what does doubling a number mean?
- Revision of common known doubles
- Step by step examples of how to use this strategy for addition questions
- A movement break to refocus your students
- Multiple opportunities for you to pause the video and for your students to practise this strategy (including an explanation of the answers)
I have designed a series of worksheets to be used after watching my ‘Double Double’ Strategy video. However, the activities do not explicitly refer back to this video, so they will also make sense as an independent resource. **Both these support material activities are available for individual purchase at my TPT store** https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Double-Double-Strategy-Worksheets-3475101
I have included six differentiated worksheets to support your students using this strategy. Students who need assistance will be taken right back to the very beginning of the strategy and supported with foundation knowledge of doubles. However, students who need to be challenged will be given a chance to apply this strategy through word problems and more challenging questions.
There is also a printable matching activity, where students need to match a single number with its corresponding double. These cards could also be used as flash cards or as part of a ‘memory’ or ‘lotto’ game.
I love this strategy and I love teaching it! I hope you and your class enjoy using this resource.