Also included in
- Integrate STEM and Literacy in your classroom all year with READ ALOUD STEM Volume 2! Awaken imagination and creativity all year. Students learn coding, engineering, explore real world problems, learn about STEM role models, pioneers, inventors, and more! This collection of STEM Projects focuses onPrice $90.00Original Price $140.00Save $50.00
- Integrate STEM and Social Studies in your classroom during Women's History Month with these Read Aloud STEM Challenges! Perfect for First Grade through Fifth Grade STEM time and STEM Club!Celebrate women in STEM careers. Teach students that anyone can be successful in STEM and important leaders in oPrice $10.00Original Price $14.00Save $4.00
Can your students use a Robotic Arm like Dr. Ellen Ochoa?
Celebrate Women in STEM by learning about Dr. Ellen Ochoa, the first Hispanic woman in space. Design and Build a Robotic Arm to be used in space.
This STEM Challenge is a fun and unique way to teach students that anyone can be a successful positive influence in STEM regardless of gender or race.
Students begin the activity by learning about Dr. Ellen Ochoa using the included reading passage and questions. It's also a perfect Read Aloud companion activity to The Astronaut with a Song for the Stars by Julia Finley Mosca, which explores the life of Dr. Ellen Ochoa
The Engineering Design Process:
Students plan, design, and execute their own ideas. After they have completed their activity, there is time for reflection on what worked and what didn't. They follow the six step Engineering Design Process: Ask, Imagine, Plan, Create, Experiment, Improve.
Informative Writing Extension:
After students complete the STEM Challenge, students write about what they learned about Dr. Ellen Ochoa.
Aligns with NGSS and Common Core.
Amazing resource for STEM club, STEM teachers, elementary librarians, parents who love hands-on learning, and elementary teachers who want to create a hands-on educational environment in their classroom!
- Paper Clips
- Hole Punch
- String or Fishing Line
- The Astronaut with a Song for the Stars by Julia Finley Mosca (Recommended)
- Teacher Instructions (With Example Photos)
- Student Instructions
- STEM Journal
- Student STEM Activity
- Student Reflection Sheet
- Reading Passage and Questions
- Writing Activity
- TpT Digital Version for Distance Learning with Google Classroom
To use Easel for Distance Learning, select "Open in Easel" on this listing.