Chinese New Year comes on the first day of the Chinese lunar calendar and lasts for almost half of a month. During many celebrations all over the world, dragons are used during parades and festivals. For students to experience the Chinese New Year, they are able to create colorful dragon masks.
Included in this document:
• student example of completed mask
• 7 hand-drawn dragon masks with designs
• 2 blank dragon masks for students to create the designs
How to create a dragon mask…
1. Make copies of either the blank dragon masks (without designs on it) or the hand-drawn dragon masks (with designs on it).
2. Have students use markers or crayons to create designs and add color to the masks.
3. Once students have added color, have students cut out the masks’ eyes, hole punch on each side of the mask, and tie string on each hole (or students are able to glue a popsicle stick to the bottom of the dragon mask). Students are also able to glue sequins or glitter to their mask to add additional color and sparkle.
4. Dragon masks are ready to wear for Chinese New Year! Hope your students enjoy!