Also included in
- BUNDLE save 20%!! Here are 40 lessons (1,014 pages) focused on Tony Award winning Broadway musicals and famous theater artists through short biographies. Students study, research, synthesize and apply the information with opportunities for individual, distance and/or cooperative learning. Teacher$199.80$223.50Save $23.70
- 20% OFF! This GROWING BUNDLE contains SEVENTEEN different lessons (475 pages) -- one the origin of the Tony Awards and thirteen concerning popular award-winning Broadway musicals. Students will come away with exceptional, broad knowledge and a new appreciation of the awards and the origin of these$102.40$136.00Save $33.60
- A smaller bundle for those that need it. (Musicals M to Z) 20% OFF! This BUNDLE contains nine different lessons (335 pages) concerning popular award-winning Broadway musicals. Students will come away with exceptional, broad knowledge and a new appreciation of the awards and the origin of these Bro$60.40$75.50Save $15.10
- BUNDLE! This particular bundle was created for a middle school teacher who requested it. Save up to 20% on bundles. YOU can do the same thing! Any two lessons can be bundled if you merely write me through my Questions/Answers page. Any grave level, any category, any lesson. THE PRICE WILL DEPEND$353.00$453.75Save $100.75
This two-day lesson focuses on the Tony award winning musical revival of Once on this Island. This Broadway musical tells the story of a peasant girl who falls in love above her class and this is told around a fire by a group of Caribbean peasants as they wait out a terrible storm. Students have an opportunity to study its journey to Broadway, composers, plot, trivia, etc.
Need a quick emergency lesson plan? Or one for a substitute? Everything is provided for the busy teacher.
HOW DO I USE THIS LESSON IN MY CLASSROOM? A drama, music or a language arts class would enjoy this lesson.
This Product includes:
- Letter to Teacher
- Warm Up--My Own Version of this Popular Exercise
- Teacher's Script--What I Say and How I Say it!
- Photos of Once on this Island
- Synopsis of the Musical
- Plot of the Musical
- Short Biography about the creative team of Lynn Ahrens, Steven Flaherty, Michael Arden and Cameille A. Brown
- Explanation of how a revival of a production comes about
- Separate File of Photos for Teacher's Use in Lecture
- History about the Origination of the Production
- AND a Mini-Lesson on What are the Tony Awards?
- List of Tony Awards
- New York City Map with Competing Theaters Labeled
- Student Note Page for Hairspray
- Teacher Note Page Key
- Trivia about Broadway and Once on this Island
- Songs List
- Pinterest Board Link Specifically about Once on this Island
- Extension Activities-- SEVEN Terrific Suggestions of Ways to Secure the Learning and Enrich the Experience either Individual or Group
- Two costume design templates for one of the extension activities
- Sources & Links to Film Clips from the Show
- And More!
Comprehensive? You bet.
This is a unique, engaging product created by an award-winning, veteran drama teacher of 38 years.
Do you follow me? If not, I hope you will: FOLLOW ME
Check out my other TPT products at:
Here's what reviewers have said of Dramamommaspeaks products:
"Fabulous unit on this musical. The students really enjoyed it! And it sure helped me that it was digital. Thanks. "
“WOW! WHAT an AWESOME Resource!!!! Thanks for providing the questions, the links, a couple of different teaching options. This could be a great sub plan, but I know every teacher wants to do this lesson for themselves. Love that you finished with a great tweet from L M Miranda. Kids are gonna love THIS!”
"This is such a wonderful and creatively made resource!"
Earning TPT Credits
• Do you want credit for future TPT purchases? Just provide feedback for resources you purchase. Click on the “provide feedback” button next to your purchases, rate the resource, and leave a short comment. (You need to do both to earn credits.)
You receive 1 TPT credit for each dollar you spend, and you can spend it just like cash on future Teachers Pay Teachers purchases.