This is a project that I use in Grade 10 drama for our "Physical Comedy" unit.
It can be used as a part of improv, as a warm-up activity etc., and also could work really well in all the grades.
- I ALWAYS let them do this in groups (and let them pick their own) - because they get way more comfortable with the project
- After they get into groups, and pick their own songs, I'll match up two groups to "battle"
- They perform about 1 minute/30 seconds of the song - not the whole song or it'll lose the attention of the class, but they have to at least get to the chorus
- Then the other group performs
- Then we do a "blind vote" for who the winner is and the winners move on
- For the final battle of the winners, I pick random hilarious songs for them to dance to (they don't know which ones!, it's a surprise), and after they perform, we pick the ultimate winner of "THE LIP SYNC CUP" hahahaha they get really into this! So fun.
The kids are shown examples from Jimmy Fallon's lip sync battles, and create their own for a final performance.
They really learn by watching these examples to "not be cool" and that DUMB is really FUN hahha.
NOTE - it's broken down over 6 days, but we've also made it shorter, depending on what you have available in the unit