Drama: Three Original Plays - Scripts to Perform - Reading for Common Core (Written in English)
This is a collection of three original, crowd-pleasing plays that I wrote for my classes to perform for parents and students for year-end concerts and school assemblies. These plays are appropriate for Grades 3, 4, 5, and 6. The plays have roles for 18 - 24 students and the sets mostly involve chairs and desks.
You could also use the scripts as Readers' Theatre and study them as literature. Please see the Grade 4 sample of the activity "Let's Analyze the Play!" in the preview.
Here is a summary of the plays:
1. Flavor Savor Toothpaste – This TV commercial tries to sell Flavor Savor Toothpaste to the home audience. It is organized like an infomercial, a TV program that informs and entertains at the same time, with an in-studio audience.
The selling point of the toothpaste is that it can taste like any flavor the buyer desires. Dentist testimonials, audience questions, an argument between parents and children about brushing, and celebrity testimonials are all used to convince the viewer to buy this product. (6 minutes)
2. The Case of the Missing Chocolates – In this classic crime/investigation/court drama, Mr. Jefferson’s chocolates are stolen from his classroom on Valentine’s Day.
Detectives and crime scene investigators try to solve the crime. Reporters share breaking news about the theft. Finally, Mr. Jefferson, the accused, and their lawyers have a dramatic confrontation in court. (13 minutes)
3. Responsibility Game Show – Organized like a game show and performed as part of a character assembly, this play portrays the Johnson and Andrews families as they watch 5 YouTube videos (really mini skits about a broken window, eating too much candy, pulling your weight during group work, keeping your promises, and listening to the teacher) and compete against one another to determine if the scenarios demonstrate or do not demonstrate responsibility. (7 minutes long)
Each play has an introduction with these features:
• Running Time
• Suggested sound effects or music from iTunes
• Blocking Suggestions (diagrams that show the position of the actors and furniture)
• Cast list
At the end, I have included a performance rubric for teachers, a student self-reflection about their performance, and 4 activity sheets for Grades 3, 4, 5, and 6 titled, “Let’s Analyze the Play!” Each sheet asks 4 questions, connected to the Reading: Literature Standard of the Common Core. The last page connects the Common Core to the questions on the activity sheets.
If you enjoy this collection, you may also like these products:
a) Procedure Writing
Procedure Writing COMBO PACK
b) Fraction Game to Compare and Order Fractions
Back to the Farm Fraction Game
Please visit my store : Irene's TpT Store
** Please rate my document to earn TpT points toward free products and follow me to receive updates about new products.
If you have any questions, contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.