Don’t you just love a unit that kills two (or a ton of) instructional birds with one stone? Well, this Drama and Fable Study
does just that!
It’s a 7-day unit designed around Aesop’s fable “Ant and Grasshopper,” and in it students will read three different versions of the fable. After building background on each form, they'll have the opportunity to critically read and respond to the fable in prose, verse, and drama form. With a strong focus on the play (included in the resource), students are also able to learn about and identify the critical components of a drama
. Through small group work, independent studies, and class discussions students will not only understand and appreciate the elements of a fable and each form of literature, but they’ll also develop a deep understanding of each text. There’s also a final assessment included in the unit. The end result is a fun, engaging, and CCSS-aligned unit!
The Drama and Fable Study
includes all the resources you’ll need to teach this unit in your classroom tomorrow.
In this unit, students will…
• Build background on fables, prose, verse, drama, and critical elements of a drama
• Understand and appreciate elements of drama
• Determine themes conveyed in various texts
• Describe how the fable, poem, and play’s plot unfolds as well as how characters respond as the plot moves towards a resolution
• Determine the meaning of words and phrases used in the text
• Explore how character choices affect the plot and build on the theme of the story
• Engage in collaborative discussions
• Draw inferences and summarize the text
• Compare and contrast all forms of the text
”Ant and Grasshopper Texts Included...
• “Ant and Grasshopper” - Aesop’s fable retold in prose
• “ The Ant and the Grasshopper” - Aesop’s fable retold in verse
by Ennis Rees
• “The Ant and the Grasshopper” - A play
adapted from Aesop’s fable
Common Core State Standards:
• RL.1, RL.2, RL.3, RL.4, RL.5, RL.6, RL.10
• W.10, SL.1, L.4, L.6
This Interactive Reading Unit includes…
• Unit Overview
• Detailed activity plans (8)
• Building Background Posters - Fables, Prose and Verse, Drama, Elements of Drama (4)
• Student Packet: Building Background, Connect to Your Life, Vocabulary, Active Reading Response (3), Responding to the Literature (3), Venn Diagram
• Test - Multiple-Choice, Matching, and Short Answer
• All Texts - prose, verse, and play version of the fable
• All Instructional and Test Keys
- This unit is also included in the Fables Bundle.
It's a 17 day unit that will have students reading and analyzing 3 versions of a fable and then writing their own fable. You can check it out HERE.
You might also like...
Descriptive Writing Unit
Poetry Analysis Unit
Reading Comprehension Skills - Mini-Unit Bundle!
Cause and Effect, Context Clues & Sequencing
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
*** Click HERE
to receive the Brain Waves Instruction Newsletter
filled with exclusive FREEBIES and Teaching Tips!
*** Click HERE
to become a seller on TpT
(Referral by Brain Waves Instruction)
Brain Waves Instruction