It’s time to push your teaching of Basic Concepts and GO BEYOND ‘identifying’ and coloring in a simple picture. This packet is for the multi-tasking SLP who wants to combine a range of receptive and expressive language goals while focusing on Basic Concepts related to size, location, sequences and number. Concepts are typically paired by opposites (above/below) and with 8 ‘mini’ pages of activities for each pair, you have a total of 25 different books for your students.
Try before you buy and grab 3 free mini books here: Draw Me Basic Concepts FREEBIE
CONCEPTS TARGETED: In/out, Over/under, On/off, Long/short, Above/below, Up/down, Big/little, Full/empty, Same/different, In front/behind, Near/far, Whole/half, Center/corner, Few/many, Front/back, First/last, Inside/outside, Tall/short, Forward/backward, Right/left, Small/medium/big, Before/after, Next to/between, Top/middle/bottom and All/none.
- Follow 1-2 step directions demonstrating your understanding of Basic Concepts by drawing them in the instructions that are outlined (e.g. Draw some plates OUT of the basket and some fruit IN the basket).
- Demonstrating an understanding of the concept in use (e.g. Find or make something in the room that shows IN and OUT).
- Giving directions using the concepts (e.g. Tell me something to draw using IN and OUT).
- Expressive recall using the concepts (e.g. Tell me what you had to draw).
- Developing semantic relationships and associations (e.g. Think of 3 other things that show IN and OUT).
✅ -- Targets 52 different basic concepts that include size (big/little) number (all/none), sequences (first/last) and location (next to/between). This makes the equivalent of 25 ‘mini books’ or 100 activities in total.
✅ -- One page has four individual drawing activities for each paired concept (receptive language) and then the other page has four ‘challenges’ to complete (expressive language).
✅ -- All images are in black line, plus by fitting 4 activities to a page, this is a really printer-friendly packet as you can make an 8 page ‘mini book’ out of 2x A4 pieces of paper.
I hope you enjoy being a functional and flexible therapist. If you are looking for some more essential resources for concepts and like the DRAW ME idea, I also have one targeted for articulation and irregular past tense verbs:
Rebecca Reinking is an SLP who works privately with children who have speech sound disorders. She has a particular interest in phonological interventions and strives to connect and collaborate with speech scientists to bridge the gap between research and clinical practice.
Watch my videos on Instagram: @adventuresinspeechpathology
Learn more about phonological therapy and join my email list.
Send me an email: email@example.com