Driving Home: Question-forming Task / Vocabulary for Describing a Song
ABOUT "DRIVING HOME"
Length: 45-60 minutes
Description: A Christmas-themed lesson, inspired by the song Driving Home for Christmas, by Chris Rea. The lesson is in five parts:
- A warm-up discussion of Christmas songs
- Listening to Driving Home for Christmas and responding to the mood and lyrics of the song (Please ensure you have before doing this part of the lesson).
- A gap-fill task using a text about the inspiration for the song. Learners do this in pairs, forming appropriate questions to obtain the missing information from their partner.
- Conversation questions: sharing anecdotes about long journeys etc.
- A research and presentation task: pick a favourite song and find out about its history, then present this information to the class.
Language the students need to have already: Familiarity with a range of tenses and with both active and passive voice. Vocabulary for describing feelings.
Suitability: Suitable for adult or teenage learners, online or offline. The paired task in part 3 can be done with the teacher if there is only one learner.
The main student resource for this lesson is available free of charge at https://englishin3d.net/2022/12/04/driving-home-for-christmas/.
The download here at TpT includes three documents:
- Gap-fill task, part 3: Partner A
- Gap-fill task, part 3: Partner B
- Vocabulary for Describing a Song, for use in part 5.
Please check the "Preview" pdf to see these in more detail.