DBQs are an excellent way to hit most of the Common Core standards in your class. If there is one activity that encapsulates the requirements of the Common Core - the DBQ is it!
Prompt: Explain the process that gave birth to the nuclear bomb. To what extent was the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki a military necessity to win the war?
Here is a list of the documents:
1. Letter from Albert Einstein to FDR, August 2nd, 1939
2. Manhattan Project Explained
3. J. Robert Oppenheimer quote after seeing first bomb
4. Henry L. Stimson, The Decision to Use the Bomb. Harpers. February 1947. (Excerpt I)
5. Harry S. Truman. Memoirs. Garden City, New York: Doubleday, 1955. 419-423.
6. Chart: Estimates of Casualties from Hiroshima & Nagasaki
7. Henry L. Stimson, The Decision to Use the Bomb. Harpers. February 1947. (Excerpt II)
8. Casualties in Iwo Jima & Okinawa graph
9. Memoirs of General H.H. Arnold, Commander of the American Army Air Force in the Second World War (1949)
10. The New York Times, September 2, 1945
This product goes perfectly with this DBQ Outline and rubric, which is included!
Key Words: World War II, Nuclear Bomb, Manhattan Project