Drops on a Penny Experiment – A Classic Updated! I begin by asking my students, “Is this experiment a fair test?” My goal is for them to begin to think critically about experimental design and to grasp the importance of holding all conditions constant except the one variable whose affect is being tested.
This is a two part discovery lab, with complete teacher directions and introductory materials, through which students will compare two variations of a simple experiment and determine why one is a “fair test” and the other is not.
Students are directed to identify variables and constants, make predictions, summarize results and analyze experimental design.
Your purchase includes the following:
1. A complete teacher’s guide and student worksheets for two experiments
2. Answer keys
3. An animated Power Point Presentation that does the following:
• introduces variables and constants in an experiment
• introduces the concept of a fair test in science
• provides step-by-step guidance for conducting the experiments
• leads students through critical thinking exercises regarding experimental design