1. Pick ten students from class and number them 1 -10
2. Explain that student one will be Drummer Pete and starts the song off by keeping a steady beat with the rhythm instrument.
3. Drummer 2 - 10 will add each time the song says Drummer Pete adds another person. As each student comes up to join the rest of the group you can easily determine how well a student can keep a steady beat. I have my egg shakers in an egg carton and they come up and take an egg and they join the line.
4. Drummer Pete gets tired and puts the egg back into the carton and sits back down. Each participant will do the same thing when it is their turn to leave.
5. While these 10 students are doing this the others can watch the screen and count the numbers 1-8 and they also see the math on the screen which reinforces their math skills while learning to keep a steady beat.
Assessment Ideas: 4-Plays a steady beat consistently 3-Plays a steady beat 75% of the time 2-Plays a steady beat 50% of the time 1-Does not play a steady beat