A set of educational activities and graded worksheets based on the poem by Wilfred Owen. These activities / worksheets can be used with a wide level of ages and abilities, including EAL learners, weak, and senior students.
The pack consists of
1. The text of the poem.
2. Cloze Test. A simple prose summary of the poem in "fill in the blanks" format. There is a word bank to assist students.
3. Low-order questions (17). Information gathering - designed to promote better understanding. Students are asked to support their answers using quotations or reference.
4. Find the Word. This is a vocabulary exercise based on words in the poem.
5. Dictionary work. Keywords from the poem for students to look up and be able to explain to the class.
6. Crossword puzzle using words from the poem - 40 clues in total. This is also available as a standalone product.
7. Word Search based on vocabulary from the poem.
8. Creative Assignments. These higher order tasks offer students the opportunity to be creative, and to demonstrate a deeper understanding of the poem. Students are asked to imagine themselves in different scenarios or as different personae. They are then asked to write in many formats (diary entry, letters, interview, newspaper article, SMS, telegram, personal writing, compare/contrast). Opportunities for drawing and analysis of media (posters and advertisements) are also presented.
This is a 20 page Word document.
Solutions to the lower order tasks (cloze test, questions, vocabulary exercise, word search and crossword) are included.