This complete unit is a collection of my EARTH’S ATMOSPHERE resources
found in my EARTH SCIENCE CURRICULUM - A COMPLETE COURSE ~ 5 E Model
and is now being offered as an individual unit for purchase.
– If you have purchased Nitty Gritty Physical Science Bundles in the past, resources from this unit may be included. If so, please use the links below the description
to add only what you need to complete your EARTH’S ATMOSPHERE unit or to see a preview of each resource.
The EARTH’S ATMOSPHERE Unit
includes the following main concepts:
• The Atmosphere
• Atmosphere Energy Transfer
• Wind and Water
• Air Quality
The unit incorporates instructional strategies that give students the ability to master these scientific topics
and allows them to:
• Describe the composition of Earth’s atmosphere
• State how the atmosphere is important to living things
• Identify some properties of air
• Explain how increasing altitude affects air pressure and density
• Identify the four main layers of the atmosphere – troposphere, stratosphere, mesosphere, thermosphere, ionosphere, exosphere
• Identify major sources of air pollution
• Describe what can be done to improve air quality
• Identify three ways in which heat is transferred – conduction, convection, radiation
• Explain winds and distinguish between local and global winds
Nitty Gritty Science Units are based on the 5 E MODEL
and include the following resources:
• TEACHER-LED DEMO
that promotes inquiry, illuminates key concepts and, most importantly, leads to heightened curiosity.
• GUIDED INQUIRY LAB
that uses processes that are referred to as inquiry process skills
which include observing, predicting, classifying, measuring, inferring, controlling variables, manipulating materials, interpreting data and experimenting.
• SCIENCE INTERACTIVE NOTEBOOKS use creative activities to motivate students to process information and demonstrate critical thinking.
• EDITABLE NOTES AND POWERPOINTS prepared by Nitty Gritty Science save you time and help you with presenting a successful lecture. The notes serve to guide students through the teacher’s presentation and are editable so you, as the teacher, can adjust the information you want the students to fill in. The editable PowerPoint helps the teacher present the content in an orderly fashion using visual aids to enhance the presentation.
• SCIENCE STATIONS provide an engaging way for students to extend their knowledge and skills by working independently of the teacher in small groups or pairs.
• TASK CARDS are a collection of review cards to be used for review, such as game-style review, group review, one-on-one tutoring, bell ringers, exit slips, the list goes on.
• CHAPTER TESTS prepared by Nitty Gritty Science use a variety of item formats that help assess different levels of student thinking and skills. The items used in the tests include multiple-choice, completion, interpreting diagrams and essays. However, if more would like to be added, all tests are editable.
Cliff Note Version: Product is for ONE TEACHER – Please do not distribute illegally and if using with your students in an online capacity, make sure documents are password protected.
Copyright © Nitty Gritty Science, LLC. All rights reserved by author Dr. Erica Colón. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for more than one teacher, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Clipart and elements found in this PDF are copyrighted and cannot be extracted and used outside of this file without permission or license. Intended for classroom and personal use ONLY.