Presentation (Powerpoint) File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
I use the word "interactive" because students are interacting with this set by writing the "I Can" statements, changing the calendar dates, etc. Please note that this is not referring to an interactive technology notebook.
**Updated: I made the slides 8.75" by 11.25" to bring the slide all the way to the edge of the paper.
This year I found out that my students are more engaged when I can give up control and allow them to take more ownership in their classroom. So, I decided to create these "I Can" cards and verbs based off the NEW ELA 3rd Grade TEKS.
I copied all cards onto neon-colored paper and laminated. Then I placed magnets on the back to use on the white board in my classroom. Every day I chose a student to go to the board, choose a verb card, and then we would collaborate as a class to come up with an I-Can Statement. My kids were sold and my most non-participatory students began to participate! It was a joy to see students share out their idea for an I-Can Statement while I and the scribe copied down their ideas.
This set includes the following on black chevron paper...
- Reading/Writing cards to organize your I Can statements
- Essential Question, I Can, I Will cards, plus an editable card for you to create more
- 40 verb cards with the NEW ELA TEKS plus an editable set
- 4 Reflective sentence starters to end your lesson
- sheet of reflections for your students to write on and place in a pocket chart
- Editable card for you to create more reflections
- Calendar months and 10 digits (editable)
- 6 Sentence Starters/Sentence Stems
- 4 Positive Quotes plus an editable quote card to allow for your own positive quote
(I try to end every lesson with a reflection and positive quote).
I provide you with ways to use this set and show you what worked for me in the past. I even point you in the right direction when you first start beginning to allow your students to write "I Can" statements. Trust me, this really does work and the students are highly engaged. They are learning to build rigor by setting their own goals for the day along with learning key vocabulary words using the verb cards.
These are also great for test prep. Not only are the students seeing the verbs that they will see on an end-of-year assessment but they are also interacting with these words and applying them.
Here are some other ideas for bulletin boards and back to school products:
Editable Classroom Jobs - $0.99
PRIDE Posters - $0.99
Thanks for viewing my product! Isaiah 41:10 ~ Whitney