Before trying to teach my 5th graders simple, complex, and compound sentences, I first teach them independent and dependent clauses using this PowerPoint presentation. Since a complex sentence combines a dependent clause with an independent clause, this overview is very helpful. The full, 10-slide presentation includes:
1) an overview of independent clauses;
2) an overview of dependent clauses;
3) an overview of dependent markers;
4) an overview of how to punctuate both clauses;
5) practice identifying clauses and markers (with answers);
6) a pop quiz to apply what was learned throughout the presentation and to check for understanding (with answers).
Other purchase options:
1) I am posting individual practice activities (worksheets) for this concept for purchase separately in my listings ($1.50 each).
2) I am also posting a formative assessment (test) for purchase in my listings ($1.50).
3) You can purchase a bundle of this PowerPoint, all practice activities, AND the assessment ($7.00).
4) If you already have the PowerPoint, you can purchase the activities and assessment bundled without the PPT ($5.00).
Deanne Davis, MCPSS
P.S. I recently added some new HARD GOOD items! I am offering NEW Scholastic paperback children's books with 4 writing prompts based on the CCSS text types for grades 2-5: opinion, informative, explanatory, and narrative ($6.00 each).