Also included in
- This bundle includes two product favorites: I Heart Literacy and Doodle Math. Each of these products includes a wide variety of problems and a unique design created to keep your students engaged and challenged. Check out the preview for a closer look at each of the resources!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~$19.97$26.97Save $7.00
Take your English language arts spiral review to the next level with I Heart Literacy! A wide variety of activities are used on these 50 pages (or google slides), each with its own high-interest, curriculum-based theme and its own unique design to keep students engaged and challenged.
Google Slides Added April 22, 2020
This product comes in two formats - worksheets for printing or Google Slides for Google Classroom. Shaded text boxes are built-in so your students will know exactly where to type.
Answer keys are on a separate PDF so students will not have access.
Also included: a short video that will show you how to assign specific slides.
While each page/slide is different, they do have some elements in common. Each page features:
- 6 standards-based ELA/Reading activities, each in its own space. Activities are numbered for easy reference.
- A short reading passage with one or two text-dependent questions. Most of the passages are informational text (written by a published author of over 100 nonfiction books for children), but a few are fictional – just to shake things up. The questions are more closely aligned to close reading than simple comprehension.
- An open-ended bonus activity, marked by a star, at the bottom of the page to be completed on the backside. Perfect for fast finishers, as homework, or extra credit.
- A theme-based joke or fun fact (joke answers can be found upside down in the bottom right-hand corner).
- A list of the skills addressed at the bottom (indicated by a picture of a nail – which stands for “nailed it!”) This list repeats in the table of contents for easy reference. Skills are repeated throughout the resource for spiral review.
Answer Keys are also provided
Suggestions for Use:
As morning work, I ♥ Literacy could be used 1-2 days a week with other activities, perhaps math or journaling, on the remaining days. Another approach is to select themes that correlate with topics you are studying in science or social studies. If you already have a year-long program, you could use these throughout the year to shake things up a bit. You could also use them daily for the two months before standardized testing.
It could also be used as homework, at a center or station, or with a sub. They would also be used to challenge highly capable third graders (or used toward the end of the year with third) or as remediation for struggling older students.
Almost every grade 4 and 5 Common Core Language standard is addressed as well as several of those for Reading Informational Text as well as many of the TEKS. A review of many third grade standards is also included. While the Common Core was referenced to build this resource, it is not meant to exhaustively cover each standard. Rather, it was made to be a fun, rigorous, and well-rounded way to review basic ELA skills.
Skills addressed include (but are not limited to):
Parts of speech, figurative language, vocabulary and context clues, affixes, word roots, homophones, synonyms, antonyms, editing, punctuation, writing better sentences, restating the question, analogies, fact and opinion, sequencing, informational text features, author's purpose, POV, main idea, summarizing, paraphrasing, reading for detail, and so much more!
What Teachers are Saying:
♥ One of my best purchases yet! I use this for morning work as a comprehensive review. It's challenging and the students enjoy the different topics! -Ashley S.
♥ This product is AMAZING! I love that it incorporates so many ELA skills on one topic on one page. Thanks! -Lauren L.
♥ The BEST thing I have bought on tpt. It is perfect for morning work and covers all the standards, plus fun topics the students enjoy! Kalena C.
♥ OH. MY. GOSH. I wish I could give this an A+++ because it is fantastic! Thank you so, so much! Not only is it fun and *interesting* for the kiddos, it's educational! -Kimberly S.
This product is happily brought to you by Rachel Lynette and Cassi Noack of Minds in Bloom