NOTE: As a prerequisite to the presentation, I share my Clauses: Independent and Dependent PowerPoint presentation, which you can download from this site. To fully grasp complex and compound sentences, it helps for students to understand clauses (dependent and independent).
This is a 20-slide PowerPoint presentation to introduce students to simple, complex, and compound sentences. The full presentation includes:
1) a review of clauses (independent and dependent);
2) an overview of simple sentences with examples;
3) an overview of complex sentences with examples showing how to change a simple sentence to a complex sentence;
4) practice differentiating between simple and complex sentences;
5) an overview of compound sentences;
6) an overview of coordinating conjunctions;
7) an overview of comma placement in compound sentences;
8) examples of compound sentences showing how to change simple sentences to compound sentences;
9) practice differentiating between simple, complex, and compound sentences.
The bundle also includes:
2) 3 practice activities for simple, complex, and compound sentences (with answers) MS Word format; and
3) a 40-question formative assessment for this concept (with answers) in MS Word format.
Other purchase options:
1) If you want only the PowerPoint, it is listed separately in my listings ($3.00).
2) If you already have the PowerPoint and want only the practice activities and assessment, you can purchase that bundle separately as well ($5.00).
3) For those who want to pick and choose which handouts they want, I am posting each practice activity and the test for purchase separately ($1.50 each).
Deanne Davis, MCPSS
P.S. I recently added some new HARD GOOD items! I am offering NEW Scholastic paperback children's books with 4 writing prompts based on the CCSS text types for grades 2-5: opinion, informative, explanatory, and narrative ($6.00 each).