NOTE: As a prerequisite to the presentation, I share my Clauses: Independent and Dependent PowerPoint presentation, which you can download from this site. To fully grasp complex and compound sentences, it helps for students to understand clauses (dependent and independent).
This is a 20-slide PowerPoint presentation to introduce students to simple, complex, and compound sentences. The full presentation includes:
1) a review of clauses (independent and dependent);
2) an overview of simple sentences with examples;
3) an overview of complex sentences with examples showing how to change a simple sentence to a complex sentence;
4) practice differentiating between simple and complex sentences;
5) an overview of compound sentences;
6) an overview of coordinating conjunctions;
7) an overview of comma placement in compound sentences;
8) examples of compound sentences showing how to change simple sentences to compound sentences;
9) practice differentiating between simple, complex, and compound sentences.
Other purchase options:
1) I am posting individual practice activities (worksheets) for this concept for purchase separately in my listings ($1.50 each).
2) I am also posting a formative assessment (test) for purchase in my listings ($1.50).
3) You can purchase a bundle of this PowerPoint, all practice activities, AND the assessment ($7.00).
4) If you already have the PowerPoint, you can purchase the activities and assessment bundled without the PPT ($5.00).
Deanne Davis, MCPSS
P.S. I recently added some new HARD GOOD items! I am offering NEW Scholastic paperback children's books with 4 writing prompts based on the CCSS text types for grades 2-5: opinion, informative, explanatory, and narrative ($6.00 each).