ELA Test Prep: Strategies for Success for Parent, Teacher and Student.
In this package you will receive:
1. Packet (4 pages) written for parents, which includes:
• Letter to parents explaining how they can help their children prepare for the tests
• common ELA words to recognize and understand
• common “test directions” to recognize and understand
• common general topics that your child might be asked to read or write about.
2. Packet (13 pages) for students to use as a study/reference guide for taking the ELA Test. This study guide is teacher directed and each skill can be taught as a separate lesson.
PLEASE NOTE: Actual lesson plans and worksheets are not included. These are strategies to teach and you can incorporate them into many different lessons.
• Common “test directions” to recognize and understand
• Common ELA words to recognize and understand (same as in parent packet)
• General topics that you might be asked to write about
• List of transition words to incorporate into your writing
• 15 common positive character traits and definitions
• 15 common negative character traits and definitions
• Essay formula
• Hints for essay writing
• Hints for short answer questions
• Strategies for listening comprehension(listening comprehension has since been removed from the ELAs but I left them in this packet.
• Helpful hints for reading hard passages!
• General tips for success
3. BONUS: Charts to enlarge:
The following pages will also be provided for you in WORD format and can be edited or enlarged. (They are included in the packet but they are in PDF format there.) I enlarge these and hang them on colorful paper around the classroom. We refer to these words during any appropriate lesson and often use them as a “Do Now.”
* ELA words to know
* Character traits, both positive and negative
* Transition words
Hope you enjoy everything. Please leave any comments on TPT if you feel that anything can be improved. Of course, positive feedback is always welcome!