Five ELA warm-up ideas – one for each day of the week.
• Metamorphic Monday – making better sentences
• Term Tuesday – Literary terms, what they mean, and how they are used
• Whimsical Wednesday – plays on words
• Thinking Thursday – thinking outside the box
• Feature Friday – authors and literature
This does not include the actual content for each day of the week – just suggestions for how you can use this in your classroom. Here’s a sample:
Metamorphic Monday – Give a basic sentence a metamorphosis! Write a basic sentence on the board. As a class, with partners, or independently, students rewrite the sentence using sensory language and imagery. You may choose to have students build the sentence into a better sentence or even a paragraph. Some sample ideas:
Prompt: The girl/boy ran.
Student rewrite: When he glimpsed the red sedan turning into the driveway, little Carl scampered out the door, excited to greet his grandparents and see what gifts they brought him for his birthday.
Includes directions for the teacher and a poster.