Also included in
- Two perfect Halloween stories and a nonfiction article for ENL Beginners bundled with a Pumpkin Scary Story Paragraph Pie to help your ELLs analyze any scary literature! This special Halloween Bundle includes:The Monkey's Paw (Complete - ESL Beginner story, activities and graphic organizers)A Strang$7.99$10.99Save $3.00
- Make your year a little easier, and give your ELL students high quality, high interest, fun materials! If you covered everything in this pack it would probably take around 70 school days. That's a lot of material for your school year -- nearly 4 months!Many of these 33 resources work with multiple l$45.00$88.87Save $43.87
A perfect Halloween story for ENL Beginners!
Beginner English language learners are crying out for stimulating texts to develop their reading and language skills. These texts are hard to find.
This story is part of a collection of high interest material specifically designed by an experienced ESL teacher for ENL, ESL, ELL students. It is short (230 words), yet contains meaningful content and exciting activities that are sure to provoke discussion. It is designed to be used to easily teach ELA concepts.
Each story and nonfiction article in the series uses vocabulary from one section of the Oxford Picture Dictionary. If you have access to the dictionary, the text pairs with it, enabling you to easily create a multiple day unit of vocabulary work and reading. If you do not have access to the dictionary the text and activities can stand alone. The series of texts introduces literary elements, reading skills, grammar and vocabulary.
The four-sided handout can be copied for your class. The image can be displayed on a screen, if you have one.
- One two-side story with original artwork.
- Activities including grammar and writing.
- Ideas for teachers — what to do before reading, during reading and after reading.
- Two grids for retelling the story as a comic.
- A portrait frame (to teach character) with text detail boxes.
- A film strip graphic organizer for teaching setting.
- A T-Chart for comparisons (the story's classroom setting vs. your classroom).
- An answer key.
The scary Mrs Fox explains the class rules to Sarah, a new student. The teacher's requests get bizarre (for food as she is hungry) and Sarah is told to leave the room. The principal passes by and is holding a knife and cooking pot. At the end of the story it is implied that Sarah is to be Mrs Fox's lunch.
More great materials for your ELLs:
Be sure to check out my Halloween products for nonfiction, an original short story, plus the classic "The Monkey's Paw". They are all for beginner ESL students, and there is a great value bundle containing the whole lot of them. If you're looking for fun activities, nonfiction, a short story for Christmas ("The Little Match Girl") and the New Year, take a look at my Christmas and New Year materials. I also have a series of short stories that will engage your students at any time, while teaching grammar and vocab. Enjoy browsing, and have fun teaching!
= Succeeding in School, The Classroom, A Day at School.
= To be, Regular present tense (to say), Some prepositions (in, behind, on, outside, off).
= Setting focus (also character).
= From 60 minutes to multiple hours (depending on how many of the additional exercises you use, such as the setting or character handouts.)
Please note: this product can be used alongside The Oxford Picture Dictionary, but is in no way associated with or endorsed by Oxford University Press.