Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
1.24 MB | 32 pages
SL Canadian Celebration Bundle of 4 (Level 3)
This bundle of lesson units is a great way to save almost a third of the cost of the four sold separately. All are designed for high-beginner Canadian ELLs, reading at about a grade 7 level. The four topics are: Terry Fox, Remembrance Day, Christmas in Canada, and Valentine’s Day. All of the products here reproduce well in black and white, and all include a teacher’s answer key.
This unit has two informational texts about Terry Fox: his life story and how he has inspired Canadians. Both are written at a grade 7 reading level.
Part 1 includes a numbered seven-paragraph text a vocabulary list, a Fast Facts section, and an exercise for putting facts as they appear in the text in the correct order.
Part 2 includes a seven-paragraph text, vocabulary list and a writing exercise about cause and effect in relation to what the students have learned by reading the texts. Also included is a group activity that prompts students to discuss and record their impressions of Terry Fox.
Also included is a group activity that prompts students to discuss and record what they learned about Terry Fox.
A great way to introduce English language learners to this beloved Canadian hero.
Christmas in Canada:
Includes two informational texts:
- the first text is a numbered five paragraph 381-word text that discusses the origins of Christmas traditions and comes with a comprehension activity. The second text has five paragraphs (392 words) about how Christmas is celebrated in Canada. It has a comprehension activity using the vocabulary words for that text.
Included are: vocabulary lists for each text, Fast Facts for each text, and a group activity for discussing and recording students' impressions of Christmas.
The lesson plan is illustrated with graphics or photos that print well in black and white.
Levels 2 and 3 can be purchased bundled (see my store). I also have a similar product for non-ESL elementary students.
This ESL lesson plan, begins with a numbered 6-paragraph 307-word text (written at a grade 7 level) that discusses the origins of Remembrance Day and how it is observed in Canada.
a list of 13 vocabulary words,
a short list of Fast Facts,
and a worksheet with two exercises.
A second feature of the unit is a short grammar activity (question formation).
An attractively illustrated copy of In Flanders Fields is also included.
Answer sheets are included. The lesson plan is illustrated with graphics or photos that print well in black and white.
This ESL lesson plan includes:
- a numbered 6-paragraph 454-word text (written at a grade 7/8 reading level) that discusses the origins of Valentines Day. Suitable for use in any classroom worldwide.
- a list of 12 vocabulary words (which are underlined in the text)
- a short list of Fast Facts,
- a worksheet with three comprehension exercises.
A second feature of the unit is a listening exercise which includes a teacher guide, two copies of the 231-word listening exercise text (one copy has the sentences numbered),
- three charts that relate to the Listening Exercise
- 7 Multiple Choice questions that may be done as a supplemental activity or as a quiz.