ESL Differentiated Unit: Pa Lia’s First Day by Michelle Edwards
This Common Core aligned unit is designed to be used with the multicultural book Pa Lia’s First Day by Michelle Edwards.
* Feelings and definitions
*Character Feelings Worksheet A – beginner and intermediate ELL’s
*Character Feelings Worksheet B – advanced ELL’s
* 30 Vocabulary words in context on multiple choice cards
*Reading comprehension using multiple choice cards for intermediate and advanced ELL’s
• figurative language
*A Game board
1. a game board
2. a die (teacher provided- not in packet)
3. game pieces (teacher provided- not in packet)
4. question cards
Game directions: (2-4 players)
Beginner students can use the glossaries during the game.
1. All players begin on the "Start" box with a game piece.
2. Each player rolls the die. If the die lands on an odd number, the player moves one space. If the die lands on an even number, the player moves two spaces.
3. If a player lands on a "Choose A Card", the player chooses a card from the deck and answers the question. If the player answers correctly, the player stays on that space. If the player answers incorrectly, then the player moves back a space. If a player lands on a direction box, then the player follows the directions on the box.
4.The object of the game is to get to the "End" box. The first person to get to the "End" box wins.