In this introduction to using Excel, students pretend they are
creating a customer contact list for a Lawncare business. They type
in the data and get used to navigating the cells that make up Excel
spreadsheets. Along the way, students add colors, borders, and
complete other basic formatting tasks. This lesson is about learning the basics of formatting in Excel and saves the math functionality for another day.
As Excel can initially feel foreign and not overly intuitive to new
users when compared to Microsoft Word or Powerpoint, it is a
good idea to get beginners used to the interface before launching
into some of the math.
This lesson allows for differentiation. Instruction is presented using
screenshots as well as video demos (for selected concepts). The
video demos allow visual learners and or less technically inclined
students to work independently and keep up. For fast finishers and
or tech-savvy students, there are challenges at the end. You can
choose whether to give them hints or not! A video demo of the answer
for the challenges is available in the Teacher’s Manual.
There are a few options for instructions.
1) Online instructions - Rich, interactive instructions which include a linked Table of Contents available from every page, access to some video instruction, detailed screenshots, and excellent document navigation options. There is also some limited animation of titles to increase student interest in the instructions. These instructions are available from any device that connects to the internet and will work in any browser, so they would be accessible from home for the students. The link to the online instructions is included in the Teacher's Manual.
2) Interactive PDF instructions - Includes all the bells and whistles of the online instructions except for the limited animation and availability from home.
3) Paper instructions - The Interactive PDF instructions can be printed.
Please feel free to contact me with questions or comments regarding this assignment! I hope that you find it useful and I look forward to hearing from you.
Included in this package:
- a teacher's manual in PDF form which includes setup options, teacher tips (links to video tips included), and information about all lesson materials.
- access to the above mentioned online instructions from the teacher's manual.
- an interactive PDF version of the instructions.
- a sample answer in Excel, which includes the challenge answer on another tab.
- a PowerPoint which can be used to introduce Excel before you roll out the assignment.
- a Kahoot game designed specifically to reinforce the learning in the PowerPoint. Kahoot is a reliably effective online game that students love playing!
- Take the time to do this activity yourself prior to presenting to the students so you are familiar with the steps.
- Read through the teacher's manual for additional tips and tricks.
Others you might like:
Google Sheets Bundle - 10 Terrific Lessons for Beginners
Google Drive - 14 Complete Lessons for Beginners
Google Sheets - School Grades Math Lesson
Google Docs Lesson Bundle - 4 Essential lessons for beginners
Excel 2010 Beginner Lesson Bundle