In this activity, students learn all about using simple functions in Excel such as Sum and Average. NBA player salaries over five seasons are used as students employ the powerful mathematical capabilities of Excel to display the amount of money the players make on the three highest spending teams in the league. Students use color codes so that they can customize individual salary sheets for Golden State, Cleveland and Oklahoma City.
The lesson allows for differentiation. Instruction is full of screenshots as well as video demos (for selected concepts). The video demos allow visual learners and or less technically inclined students to work independently. For fast finishers and or tech-savvy students, there are challenges at the end. You can choose whether to give them hints or not! A video demo of the answer for the challenges is available in the Teacher’s Manual.
There are a few options for instructions.
1) Online instructions - Rich, interactive instructions which include a linked Table of Contents available from every page, access to some video instruction, detailed screenshots, and excellent document navigation options. There is also some limited animation of titles to increase student interest in the instructions. These instructions are available from any device that connects to the internet and will work in any browser, so they would be accessible from home for the students. The link to the online instructions is included in the Teacher's Manual.
2) Interactive PDF instructions - Includes all the bells and whistles of the online instructions except for the limited animation and availability from home.
3) Paper instructions - The Interactive PDF instructions can be printed.
Please feel free to contact me with questions or comments regarding this assignment! I hope that you find it useful and I look forward to hearing from you.
Included in this package:
- a teacher's manual in PDF form which includes setup options, teacher tips (links to video tips included), and information about all lesson materials.
- access to the above mentioned online instructions from the teacher's manual.
- an interactive PDF version of the instructions.
- a sample answer in Excel.
- a challenge answer in Excel.
- an example video demo which spotlights how the topics of creating formulas might be introduced to students.
- Take the time to do this activity yourself prior to presenting to the students so you are familiar with the steps.
- Read through the teacher's manual for additional tips and tricks.
Others you might like:
EXCEL 2016 - 10 Complete Lessons for Beginners
Google Sheets Bundle - 10 Terrific Lessons for Beginners
Google Drive - 14 Complete Lessons for Beginners
Google Sheets - School Grades Math Lesson
Google Docs Lesson Bundle - 4 Essential lessons for beginners
Excel 2010 Beginner Lesson Bundle