This package of 6 engaging and detailed lesson plans is part of a larger 5-week Expository Unit. Part 3 of the unit includes:
- completing a short research summary,
- reading movie, book, and restaurant reviews, and
- writing a review.
The first half of the unit uses reading workshop and writing workshop activities to:
- search for information on the internet,
- organize information,
- narrow a topic,
- record key information,
- make in-text citations,
- use fact-checking websites,
- create a Works Cited page,
- learn about the different structures of expository text: descriptive, process, compare/contrast, cause/effect, and problem/solution,
- use mentor sentences to practice writing introductory and concluding sentences, explanatory examples, and calls-to-action,
- revise and editing writing, and
- show students how to give peer feedback.
The second half of the unit uses reading workshop and writing workshop activities to:
- read book, movie, and restaurant reviews,
- analyze writer's craft in reviews,
- engage in small and large group discussions,
- respond to writers notebook prompts,
- Imitate writer's craft in reviews, and
- write a review for a product of their choice.
Links to all book, movie, and restaurant reviews are included. Lessons are adaptable for grades 7 to 12.
Part 3 is part of a growing bundle. A summary of the complete bundle can be seen on the 2nd thumbnail preview.