Ear Training Melodic Dictation Game VOLUME 1 (Melody Post Office Music Game)
Also included in
- This Music Games Bundle will help your students HAVE FUN while learning and reviewing note names and rhythms! Perfect for any time of year to keep students engaged and learning! These are fantastic band games, choir games and orchestra activities! Good for elementary music centers and secondary muPrice $38.00Original Price $51.00Save $13.00
- This Music Games SUPER BUNDLE will help your students HAVE FUN while learning and reviewing note names and rhythms! Perfect for any time of year and ANY class size to keep students engaged and excited about music theory practice. These fun music activities would be highly successful with any upperPrice $68.00Original Price $106.00Save $38.00
Improve aural success & confidence with this ear training activity for band, upper elementary or general music. Flip the traditional teaching process with this engaging, hands-on melodic dictation game. Empower your musicians by developing melodic dictation in an intentional way that leads to understanding!
- Teaching aural listening skills
- Improving inner hearing
- Identifying note names and relating them to pitches
- An “early in the year” game before students are playing
- A review game after students have learned all included pitches
If you’re not familiar with this “envelope game” or “post office game”, it’s very simple to teach. Each student gets an envelope with 8 melody cards. Teacher plays (or note names) one of the 8 melodies. Students individually identify which card was performed. Once all students have found the correct card, the class names, sings or plays the melody together. This is a wonderful way to approach inner hearing in a different way from the normal “see it, then play it”. In this game, the students HEAR it first, then see it, then play it. Sometimes these games are also known as "Post Office" games for elementary if the cards are kept in envelopes and "delivered" to each student to search through their 'mail' for the right card.
*** This game is also included in the Music Theory Games Bundle Level 1 & the Music Games SUPER Bundle. ***
DETAILED instructions are included along with a number of ways to SIMPLIFY the game and a number of ways to make it more CHALLENGING.
Volume A contains a set of melody cards containing 5 of the most common early notes for the following instruments. Notes included are concert Bb, C, D, Eb, F.
- Flute – Oboe - Bells
- Clarinet – Bass Clarinet - Trumpet (optional F. Horn – Baritone T.C.)
- Saxophone (optional T. Sax)
- French Horn (optional T. Sax)
- Trombone – Euphonium- Bassoon
EACH SET includes 8 practice flashcards with the 8 melodies (about 3” x 10” each) to practice the melodies before the game as well as the 8 small melody cards (about 1” x 3” each) to cut into student sets.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Keira B. says, "I plan to use with full band - great that the kids can be differentiated in this game for their own instrument but still play together..”
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️Mrs. Fed’s Music Hive says, “Another great resource from Band Directors (Talk Shop). There is a little prep involved but well worth the effort. We used that cards in a variety of ways, and they will last for many years I am sure.”
**This game is also included in the Music Theory Games- Level 1 Bundle!**
**This game is also included in the !**
Looking for a version of this ear training melody dictation game with 6 notes instead of 5?
We have BOOM Card (digital, self-checking) melody and rhythmic dictation games also!
Copyright © Band Directors Talk Shop
Permission to copy for single band program use only.
If you are a traveling teacher to multiple campuses, you may copy for all of YOUR students.
Please purchase additional licenses if you intend to share this product. (Additional licenses are 50% off!)