This CCSS aligned unit provides a literary and historical overview of early American literature from the Native Americans', European explorers' and colonists’ perspective. Students read and analyze literary and informational texts, write a narrative and/or argumentative essay, and finish the unit with a test.
This set includes the following:
* Nine public domain readings including Native American creation myths, an excerpt of Columbus's journal, an excerpt of Alvar Nuñez Cabeza De Vaca's journal, an excerpt of Bradford's "Of Plymouth Plantation", an indentured servant's letter, and a selection of Anne Bradstreet poems
* Analysis questions for all the readings with teacher notes
* A Native American Myth Writing Assignment
* An American Values Essay Assignment with rubric
* Classroom activities and handouts covering CCSS skills including inferring information, scene comparison, topic development in texts from the same period, rhetorical analysis and language analysis and more
* A unit test including 50 multiple choice/matching questions and one short essay question
* Teacher notes and keys
Did you know this unit is part of my American Literature Bundle?
The bundle includes 10 resources for a 20% discount. **Please do not purchase this unit in addition to the bundle**
This unit is broken into smaller mini-units for greater flexibility:
Early American Explorer Literature Mini-Unit ONLY
Early American Colonial Literature Mini-Unit ONLY
Please do not purchase either in addition to this product.