Teach Historical Thinking
by debating the roles of Traders and Scribes
in the Early Civilizations
Earliest Civilizations Ancient Traders & Scribes Debate & Historical Thinking Activity
Perfect lesson for teaching Ancient Civilizations
Allow students to practice the steps for thinking historically
as they prepare debate arguments on key topics in World History. Students collect data, evaluate sources, make comparisons, analyze primary sources, and organize content
to create a supported argument
about a topic in history.
In this activity, students will investigate the jobs of the earliest civilizations - traders and scribes
. They will read basic facts, research with online suggested sites or from available texts, and will formulate and write a concise argument on which occupation they would prefer if living in ancient times.
Historical Thinking Debate Topic Introduction Page & Student Steps
Source Examination Page
SPRITE Organizer & Student SPRITE Guide
Writing Prompt & Pages for Student Writing
Teacher Guide w/Suggested Websites for Student Study
Traders and Scribes of the Ancient Civilizations
Perfect for your Unit on Fertile Crescent, Mesopotamia, Phoenicia, Sumer
Secondary and Primary Source Analysis
This lesson would work well in a World History course or in any other where the topic is studied or required for core content standard completion.
An answer key is not provided since student responses will vary, but the student SPRITE Guide is included.
See this complete resource in the PREVIEW!
• World Religions Comparison Activity Google Drive Interactive Lesson
• World Religions Investigation and Comparison Centers Activity
• Comparison of Christianity to Judaism Research ORQ
• Comparison of Christianity to Judaism Research & Writing Google Drive Lesson
• Comparison of Christianity to Islam Research ORQ
• Comparison of Christianity to Islam Research & Writing Google Drive Lesson
• Comparison of Christianity to Hinduism Research ORQ
• Geography's Effect on Early Settlement in Early Civilizations Activity & Writing
• Settlement of Ancient Egypt & Egyptian Civilizations Archeological Dig Activity
• Settlement of Ancient India & Mohenjodaro Notes & Archeological Dig Activity
• Mapping the Lands of the Ancient & Early World Activity Bundle
Please see my other Social Studies resources in my TpT Store!